Uplands Reach. More commonly known as URCC.... Some of the kids from my church are there this week
for Junior Camp. I guess some people have good memories of that
place... I don't. All I remember is the favoritism shown toward some
kids and the sense of not being good enough poured over others. I was,
unfortunately, one of the ones who never felt good enough to be there.
The last time I was there, I could count on one hand the number of
people who actually even spoke to me... and that's including the so
called "leaders" of that place.
The favoritism, as much of a
problem as it is, is not my biggest beef with the place. I am a firm
believer that God calls people to His salvation. You can't be scared
into it through the hellfire and brimstone preaching. I'm sorry but that
just doesn't work. I know that from my own experience. I thought I was
"saved" when I was 14 at Teen Camp, but I was wrong. Very
wrong. I know that the Word must be taught, but please, find a way to
not make it terrifying. Preaching the stuff that "If you don't get saved
tonight, you might die and spend eternity in the flames of hell." don't
you think that's enough to make all those kids up there get "saved"?
From my own life, I can tell you that that kind of "salvation" isn't
real. At least it wasn't for me. The "camp high" lasted for like a week
but there was no real change. For me, real salvation came when I was 19.
Ironically, when a guest group from Uplands Reach was at my church.
While I like the people as people, I have zero respect for the camp
itself. It screwed up my understanding of what a relationship with Jesus
really is.
So for those of you who go to/support/work
at the camp, be wary. Pay attention. But ultimately that's your
decision. I'm just stating my experience and opinions.
This is not meant to offend. Just meant to warn.
No comments:
Post a Comment